This post may contain affiliate links, which means I'll receive a commission if you purchase through my link at no additional cost. You can read my full disclosure here.
So, you’re pregnant… congratulations! I’m sure you are looking for must have baby items for first time moms! The investments to make your mom life easier will slowly start to make sense to you.
No doubt, the news fills you with so much joy and excitement. Sometimes that can be followed by fear.
You might have asked your friends and family for advice and tips about what to expect. They have told you the same thing: ‘nothing can prepare you.’ Wow, helpful! And if you are like me and don’t have a lot of friends to ask as a point of reference, you are really up a creek.
This post is about must have baby items for first time moms.
It’s true. There are many things with being a mom that you can’t prepare for. While there are hacks, tips, products, and tools to make mothering easier, below is a list of the five items that are easy to get, affordable, and all moms need when you leave the hospital entering postpartum.
Innovative baby products
Here is a list of the baby product must have baby items for first time moms. These include memberships or low or no-cost items needed in the first hours and days after having a baby. If you are looking for my top Amazon products, this post has them for this year.
- Amazon Prime. Amazon Prime. If you don’t know anything about Amazon Prime, here is your chance to gt put it on. This is an investment. There are so many pros to having it that many people can’t go without it (including me). Not paying for shipping is some of the perks of getting this membership. It’s a game-changer when you can’t leave the house and need diapers, wipes, or creams for you are the baby.
- Have you run out of formula? Amazon Prime. Need a bib? Amazon Prime. Is the bed broken, or do you want to get some new sheets? Amazon Prime is the answer!
- In the early days and weeks after having a baby, you will be surprised that you won’t be leaving the house often. You can go days or weeks without leaving the house, so having Prime can be the difference in getting groceries or clothing you need.
- If you are looking for movies to watch with your new mini-me, Amazon Prime does have this feature; however, you have to pay extra for it. It’s a great bonus if you need to keep older children busy. However, Youtube and other networks like Disney Jr or Nick Jr will work just fine.
Hands free phone holder
- Hands-Free Kit for your cell phone. A hands-free device is another great item for new moms. You should have this no-brainer investment, even if you don’t have a baby. You’ll realize that being in the house and the baby is attached to you often that there will be times the baby won’t let you put them down, so having a way to still communicate with loved ones is vital to keeping you sane.
The baby co sleeper attaches to bed
- Co-Sleeper. There are so many different types of co-sleepers. Most people now know that co-sleepers are mini beds next to your bed and can be attached by a clip or bassinet. These were created so that you have the flexibility to have your baby next to you while you’re in bed and allow you freedom if you need to move around the bed and not harm the baby. When your baby is an infant and very young, it’s not recommended to have the baby in the bed with you. This can be dangerous since the early postpartum week is when you are the most exhausted, so it can be dangerous to keep the baby in bed out of fear of suffocation.
- People have different opinions about their parenting styles and what to do with co-sleepers. There are pros and cons to having a co-sleeper in your room, so this decision is based on what you feel is best for your family situation.
- Baby Monitor. Most if not all parents are getting a baby monitor. There are so many different types of baby monitors that this will be based on what you want to spend. You don’t need an expensive baby monitor to do the job. An affordable monitor will still allow you to view your child and give you the peace of mind you need. Here is another no-brainer investment to make your mom-life easier.
- Many baby monitors have so many features that include playing music and sounds. This is the current baby monitor that I use, and it does a great job. You don’t need to spend a lot on a monitor, especially since you won’t be using it for a long time.
- Moms, you want to put your funds into products that you will be using longer than the first year. Consider your options and get something you can afford, and if it breaks, you won’t mind buying again! The monitor is usually used for the first six months since SIDS is more common in the early months.
Baby carrier sling
- Front Carriers. This is something that I tried to do; however, the carrier that we got wasn’t the best, but I don’t think we would do it should we have children in the future. This is the carrier that we used. As a petite mom (5’1), It didn’t feel the best, but other moms might find it helpful. We also tried this version and found it challenging to use.
- The pros to having a front carrier are that it mimics how the baby was in the womb, which can soothe your child. Finding a great one can make the difference in how often you use it or not.
- While it’s not required, having a carrier is convenient when you need to do things around the house, take your walks, or run errands.
While some of these items can get expensive, remember that being comfortable during postpartum is priceless. You don’t have to spend a lot to get a lot when it comes to baby items. These items for moms are what I wished I thought about when it came to my baby registry, and hopefully, these will be items to add to that list.